5 (Kind of) Shocking Truths About Homeschooling

2018_8_23 - 5 (Kind of) Shocking Truths About Homeschooling.jpg

In my internet rambles the other day, I found a Title Generator. These are simple little engines where you enter a keyword or two, and it returns several titles for you to write about.

So I typed in “homeschooling.” The generator gave me lots of punchy titles to write about, such as: How to Master Homeschooling in Only Ten Days!

Well, now. I’ve been homeschooling for over ten years and still haven’t mastered it. I wish somebody would write that post.

I kept reading over the list of titles and came across 5 Shocking Truths About Homeschooling. I laughed. But then I began reflecting on some of the surprises I’ve encountered over the more-than-ten-days I’ve been homeschooling my children.

So without further ado, here are 5 Shocking Truths About Homeschooling:

1. It won’t turn your kids into perfect kids. You can tailor every lesson to their learning styles, allow ample time for creativity, guide them through emotional storms, instill in them a love for God and people. They are still human and you’ll still have problems. If you start out with reasonable expectations, it’s easier to handle the conflicts when they come.

2. It won’t turn you into a perfect parent. Homeschooling doesn’t give us extra Parenting Points that exempt us from common struggles. Granted, homeschooling compels us to soften our edges, be compassionate, be firm, and really listen to our students’ struggles. But we are also still human. We’ll lose patience, misjudge situations, and burn out. Be ready to apologize a lot, which helps mend a lot of those unpleasant situations that life springs on us.

3. Your kids won’t always love school. I think this is the one that takes most of us homeschooling parents by surprise. We put so much thought and effort into our children’s education. In fact, we get pretty excited about it ourselves! But to your kids, it’s just school, and school is not always fun. The good part is that they do still love to learn, and when that moment of excitement flashes, you’re there to enjoy it with them.

4. There will always be other families who do some things better than you do. You know that public/private school Mom Who Does It All? She’s involved in her children’s classrooms, her kids eat healthy, they make good grades, and the whole family is always well-dressed. Guess what? That stereotype exists in homeschooling circles too. Of course, you are gifted in areas that others—even That Mom—struggle to handle. But the real remedy is to let go of the pressure to measure up to someone else’s outward perfection.

5. Your kids won’t love all the same things you do. I feel pretty vulnerable admitting this, but—my kids don’t love the Narnia books. They’ve read them, but not multiple times. Not to the point that I can say, “Does it get stuck on a hook halfway?” and they laugh. They don’t all love the same subjects I did as a homeschooled kid, either. (One kid hates grammar. How can a kid with my DNA hate grammar?) I’ve had to put aside several cherished expectations over the years.

6. Bonus! You will learn to love new things. From animation techniques, to new books, to discovering just how adorable a pet bunny can be—our kids have opened up new worlds to us, even as we’re opening up the world to them.

These may not all be exactly shocking, but I can guarantee that your homeschooling journey won’t go the way you think it will. But it will be good in ways that you never expect.

So okay, this is all fine and good. But what we really want to know is how master homeschooling in ten days. Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered there, too.

How to Master Homeschooling in Ten Days

1. Don’t actually have kids.

You’re welcome.

—Sara

Photo Credit: iStock.

, , , , , , ,

9 Comments on “5 (Kind of) Shocking Truths About Homeschooling”

1. Elihu
    August 24, 2018 at 2:17 pm #

Haha! Preach it!

Homeschooling is definitely not mastered overnight. And yes, the best way to master it is to not have kids period. Thank you for this chuckle. We’ve been doing school for two weeks and I’m already feeling discouraged. I need to remember these kind of shocking truths. 😉

• homeschooling911
      September 3, 2018 at 1:19 am #

Elihu: Hang in there! I’ve been homeschooling for 28 years (in two years I will graduate my youngest). Believe me (!) I was discouraged, overwhelmed, confused and just dad-blamed tired plenty of times. But it has been SO worth it!

2. emzelf
    August 24, 2018 at 7:32 pm #

LOL! That last one!

I’m a homeschooled student myself, and I have to say you hit the nail on all of those. Yep, that’s homeschooling for sure. : )

3. Jaygo
    August 29, 2018 at 6:25 pm #

This is great and so true. One shocking truth for me is the fact that these children I’m teaching have taught me more about myself than I could ever teach them.

4. Francine
    August 30, 2018 at 2:17 am #

This is great and so true! I’ve been feeling like a real success lately. My children are now teaching me things!

5. Rachelle Reitz
    August 30, 2018 at 7:22 am #

I’ll admit that no. 3 was hard for me! I always loved school and my expectations were my kids would too. Fortunately, I have one surprise! My antagonistic challenging child has come to love school, and her fervor to begin the year gave me wings to start a super-challenging year.
    Great post Sara!

6. crustymom
    September 12, 2018 at 9:57 am #

Reblogged this on crustybreadfamily and commented:
    Loved this! I too am at the ten year mark of homeschooling. My older son just “graduated” to a public tech high school. An amazing blessing a few days in he came home and said ” I think I understand now why you and dad decided to homeschool me!”
    And my journey of imperfection still continues as I (hopefully) will homeschool my other son through high school.

7. Julia Robert
    October 16, 2018 at 6:44 am #

Well, that’s true no one has become perfect whether you go to homeschool or some other college or university. No college no university will make you perfect. If you have to become something you have to learn by yourself.

8. hecticeclecticmama
    October 17, 2018 at 9:33 pm #

LOL I enjoyed your post. I have been homeschooling for about 6 years and I have definitely not mastered it rather I have learned to take each day as it comes. There are ups and downs, tears, laughter, and amazing memories but I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.
    *My kids enjoyed the Narnia books but what made me sad was that my daughter thought Anne of Green Gables was boring which is one of my favorite books as a little girl.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )