Constitution Day is fast approaching!
Every year we have a chance to reflect on the anniversary of the momentous signing of the US constitution! Constitution Day encourages us to reflect on our nation’s history and the privileges we enjoy today due to the faithful work of the men who painstakingly labored to preserve our freedom.
Here are some ideas to celebrate Constitution Day with your family!
1. INFORMATIONAL VIDEOS:
- Schoolhouse Rock teaches children the preamble to the constitution through song
- Younger kids will enjoy this episode of Liberty’s Kids, a cartoon series about colonial children who witness key historical events during the Revolutionary War
- Watch history come to life in A More Perfect Union, a video reenacting the debates and conversations surrounding the Continental Congress.
- Get a tour behind the vaults of the National Archives with this video
2. REENACTMENTS – Make it fun! If you have anything colonially themed, why not have your kids dress up? And if you have someone whose talents tend towards the theatrical side, have them dramatically read the preamble to the constitution! Take the time when you’re gathered to discuss topics relating to the constitution, like the founder’s intentions, the importance of the constitution, the freedoms we enjoy, and how we can help to preserve that freedom.
- Tri-corner hat cut-out
- Easy DIY costume for boys
- Colonial costumes for girls (Unfortunately, it costs money for the pattern, but you may find inspiration with the dress!
3.COOKING – Try some recipes from the colonial area! Here are some sites and recipes:
- Thomas Jefferson’s Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Washington Cake
- Cranberry Tart
- Chicken Pudding
- History is Served is Colonial Williamsburg’s website with recipes as authentic to the time as possible. Here are some of the recipes they serve in Williamsburg.
- Baking Recipes of Our Founding Fathers
4. LEARN ABOUT THE FOUNDERS – This website gives some brief Take some time to study the lesser-known signers of the constitution!
5. QUIZZES AND GAMES
- Crosswords (Easier version)
- Wordfinds (Easier version)
- Treasure Hunt
- Constitution Quiz
- Which Founding Father are You?
6. HSLDA Supplies – Last but not least, here are three products in particular that will cultivate constitutional savviness!
- Our Constitution Rocks –As Darren Jones, HSLDA Staff Attorney, says, “…Juliette Turner does a terrific job of going through our founding document, taking each section and showing what it means, why it’s in there, and how it’s been used through the years…Each Article and Amendment is clearly explained, including controversies over what they mean, and lots of interesting facts and tidbits of trivia are thrown in. This book is an excellent introduction to our Constitution, and I would recommend it highly.”
- iCitizen – The course highlights the purpose of the Constitution, the structure of America’s government and economic system, the role of American diplomacy, expressions of patriotism, and provides an introduction to American parties and politics. In addition, you can count this towards civics credit on your transcript!
- Constitutional Literacy with Michael Farris – Join Michael Farris as he delves into the history of our nation’s most important document and provides the training to turn America back towards a proper understanding of American Liberty. The exciting news is that this incredible educational resource has been repackaged so that the price is now $54.99 instead of $95!
May you and your family have a wonderful Constitution Day!
Photo Credit: Graphic design by Anna Soltis.