Every week leading up to the 2016 Primary Season, HSLDA will post a profile for one of the 2016 Presidential candidates on Homeschooling Now, highlighting where each stands on the Common Core State Standards Initiative. For more information on the Common Core, check out our free resources at HSLDA.org/CommonCore.
- U.S Senator from Texas
- Solicitor General of Texas (2003-2008)
CURRENT POSITION: Opposes Common Core
- 2013: Cruz cosponsors resolution at the Republican National Convention to oppose Common Core; signs letter to the Labor-Health and Human Services-Education Appropriations Subcommittee calling for the defunding of Common Core.
- 2014: Cruz cosponsors Sen. Lindsey Graham’s Senate Resolution 345, denouncing the coercion of states into accepting Common Core.
- 2015: Becomes the first Republican to announce candidacy for 2016 Presidential election; is first to sign the Eagle Forum STOP Common Core Pledge; cosponsors Sen. Vitters’ Local Control of Education Act, prohibiting the government from mandating specific academic standards.
“We need to abolish the Department of Education.” —Speech at Conservative Political Action Committee conference, 2013
“I don’t think the federal government has any role dictating the content of curricula. I think education is a state issue and a local issue, and ideally at the local level, because that way parents can have direct input and control of what’s being taught to their kids.” —Network of Iowa Christian Home Educators, March 2014 via Radio Iowa
“We need to repeal every word of Common Core.” —New Hampshire Republican Party Conference, April 2015 via Politico
“Instead of a federal government that seeks to dictate school curriculum through Common Core, imagine repealing every word of Common Core.” —Speech at Liberty University, April 2015 via Washington Post
- Breitbart: Ted Cruz: “We Should Repeal Every Word of Common Core“, February 2015
- CPAC Keynote Address, 2013.
- Speech at Iowa Freedom Summit, January 2015
- Interview with Club for Growth, March 2015
- Signed Florida Parents Against Common Core pledge, November 2015
SUMMARY: Ted Cruz has remained consistently and strongly opposed to Common Core.
— Andrew Mullins and Lauren Mitchell
Photo Credit: First image graphic design by Andrew Mullins; second image by Gage Skidmore.