Republican Presidential Debate Viewing Guide

Republican Presidential Debate Viewing Guide | HSLDA Blog

Photo Credit: Graphic design by Andrew Mullins, edits by Charity Klicka.

, , ,

28 Comments on “Republican Presidential Debate Viewing Guide”

1. Jill
    September 16, 2015 at 10:14 am #

I would like to see an infographic that shows the candidates’ views on mandatory vaccination, since that is such an important parental and human rights issue right now.

• Cara
      September 16, 2015 at 3:12 pm #

I agree with Jill. This is a deciding factor for many families since the recent onslaught of vaccine legislation in many states.

• Lisa Bergmann
      September 17, 2015 at 8:19 am #

The vaccination issue is an important one, but I would hope that we as citizens would look at the LARGER picture of what’s at stake when we elect a new leader–there are huge issues of national security and safety, issues of family and morality, freedom of religion, etc. We all have our sacred issues, but please.

• drbetsill
        September 17, 2015 at 9:06 am #

This is a core problem that some evidently have in that they think vaccinations win out over freedom to choose for yourself and children. What will Carson for ex., oppose next or insist on next that interferes with our freedom? You mention the bigger picture and I agree with that in general, however…once you have a vaccine damaged child or if your work involves working with vaccine damaged children, you realize that the loss of that child or the permanent damage to that child….becomes a person’s WHOLE picture. Freedom is a huge issue and if we lose out freedom to choose our medical care…..what is next? It is a philosophical problem…………….

• WNC-Gluten-Free-Coach, Kimberly
      September 17, 2015 at 2:38 pm #

Yes I agree, where do the candidates stand with mandatory or not vaccination, please

2. Kristie
    September 16, 2015 at 10:35 am #

You need to do your research, huckabee is not against common core! He uses double speak and changes the name but he has given private speeches in favor of common core.

• Art Bergquist
      September 16, 2015 at 2:56 pm #

I was not aware that Huckabee is in favor of Common Core; I’m guessing that since these speeches are private, that there are no links to them?

• Tonya Scott Davidsaver
      September 16, 2015 at 5:08 pm #

His site states he is opposed to Common Core and wishes to abolish the Federal Department of Education

• Kim
      September 16, 2015 at 5:49 pm #

Thanks for Suggesting this…a Quick Search brought Up this Link…(0:

• Sara
        September 16, 2015 at 6:29 pm #

Sadly, I would have to dispute some of that info. Trump and his wife spend big bucks sending vaccines to Africa. There’s no way he doesn’t support vaxing. If he didn’t, he’d be wasting his own money.

• Lisa
        September 16, 2015 at 8:21 pm #

Good info on Candidate’s views & child vaccinations Kim! Thanks!!

• momchin
        September 18, 2015 at 2:15 pm #

Sara, It may be that Trump is against mandatory vaccination, but supports vaccinations in general. Way too many die and suffer in Africa from preventable disease. We’ve lost the common knowledge of the devastating effects of these diseases here in the US. I agree with vaccination, but not without personal exemptions (religious, medical, other).

3. Sarah
    September 16, 2015 at 2:56 pm #

I also, would like to see a column showing their view on mandatory vaccinations. This is a HUGE blow for parental rights! Extremely important for all parents, whether they realize it yet or not.

4. Dana
    September 16, 2015 at 2:58 pm #

This is helpful to see. Thank you for this graph.

5. Jeff
    September 16, 2015 at 3:00 pm #

People I WON’T be voting for:

Jeb Bush
    Chris Christie
    Ted Cruz
    Carly Fiorina
    Mike Huckabee
    John Kasich
    Rand Paul
    Marco Rubio

Proud Homeschool parent and Christian that loves America!

• Elizabeth
      September 16, 2015 at 10:51 pm #

Jeff, I’d like to know why you WON’T be voting for Ted Cruz but Donald Trump is not on the list? I, too, am a Christian, home-educator who cares about America!

• Teri
      September 17, 2015 at 11:17 am #

Jeff, just wondering… What are your injections to Ted Cruz, Carly Fiorina & Marco Rubio?

• Jeff
      September 22, 2015 at 5:57 pm #

OK, to all who responded to my earlier comment. I am open to Ted Cruz (but don’t see him making the final cut). Definitely NOT open to Rubio or Fiorina. Rubio is pro-amnesty and his position keeps changing — I don’t trust him. Fiorina’s position: ‘Mrs. Fiorina, who is running for the GOP presidential nomination, also said she could support giving those who “have come here illegally and stayed here illegally” legal status.’ I’m aware of Trumps issues as well, but I like his no-nonsense approach to things and to making this country #1 and great again (no thanks to current person living in the White House). Trump is getting all the attention and looks to get the nomination if he continues in the ratings. I’m just thankful the “old lady” is not doing so well and Jeb is also tanking. Bottom-line, we don’t need another Bush nor Clinton in the White House ever.

6. drbetsill
    September 16, 2015 at 3:01 pm #

Agree about needing to know about immunizations……………

7. LongTribe
    September 16, 2015 at 5:16 pm #

I appreciate this info-graph from HSLDA, but I’d love to see more info on the candidates. Homeschoolers are not one issue voters.

• Bella
      September 16, 2015 at 7:51 pm #

I completely agree. For example, their stance on national defense and budget issues could hugely affect the next generation – and the next (if there is one…)

8. Richard
    September 16, 2015 at 6:12 pm #

I would like to know where to find more supporting information for your grading of “supports homeschool”. I don’t think it’s fair to make a blanket statement like that without supporting documentation.

9. Eileen DeJonge
    September 16, 2015 at 6:43 pm #

Very helpful. Thanks for the guide

10. mogeley
    September 16, 2015 at 11:02 pm #

Agree with others. It is important to see where candidates stand on vaccinations, stance on constitution, and other liberty issues.

I was completely shocked by Chris Christie’s comments where he supported violating the Constitution for “security”.

11. Alexis Brown
    September 17, 2015 at 12:20 am #

I’m not sure the information regarding Christie opposing Common Core is accurate. I know personally for a fact that Christie and Jeb Bush met with the governor of my state along with key legislators to promote it in TN.

12. Alexis Brown
    September 17, 2015 at 12:23 am #

What information was used to form this guide?

13. Renee Arroyo
    September 17, 2015 at 9:29 pm #

Hi Jeff,

I hope you are not going to vote for Scott Walker because he wants to bring back the draft immediately if he is elected. For all of us homeschooling parents who have sons, this is something to think about. Renee

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Republican Presidential Debate Viewing Guide | Homeschooling Now | Flurry of Thoughts - September 16, 2015

[…] Source: Republican Presidential Debate Viewing Guide | Homeschooling Now […]